DPRK says S Korea's military exercises "very dangerous"
PYONGYANG, Jan. 17 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) expressed Monday its anger over South Korea's recent military exercises, repeating calls for Seoul to resume dialogue with Pyongyang.
In an editorial, DPRK's official newspaper Rodong Sinmun said South Korea's military exercises since the beginning of the new year had dampened confidence to resume dialogue, calling them "a very dangerous act".
The article said South Korea not only conducted military exercises on its own but also collaborated with the United States to launch joint exercises, threatening and pressuring DPRK through military means.
It is an act that "cannot be passed over without taking action," the article said, adding that such move not only posed challenge to the domestic and international hope for dialogue and peace, but also would exacerbate the already straining relations on the Korean Peninsula.
The article said that tension on the Korean Peninsula served no interest to either side, as it threatened the survival and future of the Korean nationality, as well as peace and stability of Northeast Asia.
The editorial called for dialogue and consultation on both sides to ease tension and get back on the track of reconciliation and cooperation. It urged South Korean authorities to stop provocative behaviors and words that advocate confrontation, calling for positive response to DPRK's dialogue proposal.
DPRK's government, party and social institutions issued a combined statement on Jan. 5, proposing unconditional dialogue with South Korea as soon as possible on the way to demolish misunderstanding and distrust as well as achieve peace and prosperity.
But South Korea has flatly turned down DPRK's dialogue proposals, saying that on the issue of warship sinking and island shelling last year, Pyongyang should take appropriate measures, and that it should show a sincere attitude to denuclearization. South Korea suggested both sides discuss these issues first.